Miss American Flag Pie is a 2017 remake of one of my most popular recipe, Star-Spangled Pies. I received such an overwhelming response to it on Pinterest and subsequently it was my first Pin to go viral. Awww, those small blogging success moments. How nice. 🙂 I wanted to re-make this American Flag Pie one year later and see the progress of my writing and photography. A side by side comparison. This is also a gentle nudge to take moment and note the difference in our country in just one year. 2017 has been an eventful Political year and I wanted to specifically recognize women. Miss American Flag Pie represents women’s perseverance to defend their rights. We shouldn’t have to fight for our rights again. It’s a reminder to get involved on any level and be proud to be a powerful woman in the land of the free. Now, on to the preparation. It’s really simple, I followed the recipe I wrote in 2016 and I had consistent results. Last year I picked up Star Cutters in Graduated Sizes, Stainless Steel, 6 Pc Set from Amazon Prime and used them again this year.
Make a berry barrier out of foil….Pile the berries high, they flatten when the start to lose liquid.
Have your chilled pie crust designs on parchment paper next to your pie…
Assemble!Happy Birthday America!Layers of golden flaky crust.
Mrs. Jennifer Irizarry
Yields 1 9 inch pie
Patriotic Pie for Memorial Day and Independence Day. American Flag pies are my favorite red, white and blue dessert.
1 hrPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 45 Total Time
- 1/2 cup sugar (up to 1 cup depending on the sweetness of your berries)
- 6 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 chilled pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 and place rack in lower third of the oven.
- Place berries separately in two large bowls.
- Mix together sugar, salt and cornstarch in a smaller bowl.
- Pour 1/3 of the sugar mixture on the blueberries and the remaining 2/3 on the strawberries.
- Add 1/2 tsp almond extract to each bowl.
- Toss to combine.
- Let macerate for 15-20 minutes until juices have accumulated.
- Meanwhile, flour your work surface generously and roll out your bottom crust.
- Fit gently into a pie dish and trim the edges.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Roll out your top crust and flip it on to a large piece of parchment paper.
- Chill FOR AT LEAST 15 MIN before cutting out designs.
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil in half several times to make a divider for the fruit.
- Put the foil inside the pie crust blocking off a third of the inside of the pie.
- Fill blueberries on the smaller side, then strawberries on the larger side.
- Carefully remove the foil.
- Once top crust is chilled (leave it on parchment paper) and cut out wavy stripes (about 7).
- Cut as many stars as you can with remaining dough and assemble flag design.
- Brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with it course sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 then reduce the temp to 375. Cover the crust with a pie crust shield or strips of aluminum foil. Move the oven rack up back to the middle and bake for 30 more minutes. Watch your pie! It is done with the filling bubbles and the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool at least 3 hours before cutting.
Leave a quick comment if you love the USA 😉