Honey, lemon and orange juice braised Bananas or Plantains with buttery almond crumble topping. This little brunch dish goes right from the oven to the table in a cast iron skillet. It looks rustic and cute and comes together in a snap! This can be made ahead of time then served warm and topped with Greek Yogurt maybe? I’ll let the pictures do the talking today…
The citrus juices and honey infuse the carmelized bananas with flavor. I added a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg which gave it great depth. Ideal brunch dish for your Gluten Free and Paleo friends. 🙂
Almond Flour, brown sugar (optional), grass fed butter, and salt. Combine with a pastry cutter or two forks.
Cover the bowl and let the crumble chill for at least two hours, or overnight. Before you are ready to braise the bananas. Spread the crumble on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
Heat 1/4 cup of honey over med-low until it starts to gently simmer. Add bananas and cook, flipping once or twice, until caramelized.
You can use bananas of any ripeness, or black or near black plantains.
Add in the juices and nutmeg, simmer a few minutes letting the liquid reduce. Top with almond mixture and braise in the oven at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Until the liquid bubbles and the topping is golden brown. Serve in the skillet!
Mrs. Jennifer Irizarry
Honey, lemon and orange juice braised Bananas or Plantains with buttery almond crumble topping. This little brunch dish goes right from the oven to the table in a cast iron skillet. It looks rustic and cute and comes together in a snap! This can be made ahead of time then served warm and topped with Greek yogurt.
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- For the topping:
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar (Optional)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- handful of slivered almonds
- pinch of salt
- For the bananas:
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients. Cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a course meal.
- Cover and chill for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread out topping on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Lower oven temp to 300.
- Meanwhile warm honey in a dutch oven pot or other heavy skillet until it starts to gently simmer.
- Place the bananas in and cook for 15 minutes or until caramelized. Flip once or twice.
- When they are caramelized add the juices and nutmeg. Bring to a light simmer and cook until it reduces slightly.
- Spread crumble topping over the bananas and braise in oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
- It is done when the liquid bubbles and the crust is golden brown.