I often hear Chefs say that their cooking style is influenced from memories of where they grew up and experiences from travel. I can say the same for myself. While most of the time I describe my cooking style as “Mediterranean, Italian, and French”, the influence of growing up in the Florida Keys and then North Carolina for the remainder of my childhood definitely plays a roll in some of my best recipes. Recipes that taste like home.
For example, my BlackBerry Lemon Thyme Pie, reminds me of the summer my family spent in Tennessee. The pan seared Snapper with peach salsa recipe reminds me of my parents cooking our fresh catches from weekend boat days in Florida. And of course, this Carolina Style BBQ pulled pork is everything that NC BBQ is about! Now, living in Texas and experiencing the difference in the style of BBQ, I find myself craving that vinegar based sauce that makes the BBQ so delicious and unique.
This recipe is SO simple and made in the slow cooker, which can’t make it any easier or convenient. If you show up to a BBQ this summer with fresh pineapple cole slaw and slow cooked pork, you will surely be praised! And with all the extra time you saved by making a slow cooker recipe, you’ll have plenty of time to sit back and sip on some ice cold sweet tea!
Mrs. Jennifer Irizarry
Carolina Style BBQ pulled pork with Pineapple Slaw
- 3 pounds pork shoulder butt roast
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, separated
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- For the Slaw:
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon fresh pineapple juice (or use the juice from the orange)
- 1 tablespoon agave or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded + chopped
- Trim off any large sections of fat from the pork.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and smoked paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rub spice mixture all over the roast until it's soaked in. Place onions in a layer on the bottom of slow cooker, place roast on top.
- In small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients from apple cider vinegar to ground mustard, plus leftover tablespoon of brown sugar. Gently pour liquid over roast. You should have about 2 inches of liquid on bottom; if not add a bit of water.
- Cook covered on low for 7–8 hours, until pulled pork is tender. Shred pork in slow cooker with a fork until flaked. Stir into liquid to incorporate flavor. Let sit for about 30 minutes, drain liquid and serve.
- Toss all the pineapple slaw ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Serve on top of pork.