This Butternut Squash-Parsnip soup is the kind of delicious that makes you slow down to appreciate all the flavors. What the butternut squash, apples and parsnips do to this soup is what traveling does for my soul. It opens up all my senses and forces me to live in the moment, to slow down and take it all in. Open up to a new perspective and discover things outside my comfort zones. This soup is all those things and more. More? Yeah! It’s a slow cooker recipe!
10 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 2 cups chopped parsnip (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken bone broth
- 3 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or Greek yogurt(optional)
- 8 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Place one-fourth of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend the soup until it's smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Stir in coconut milk, paprika, and cumin. Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired.
That time in Belize…
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
“The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
I was fortunate enough to be apart of an elite few that made a very comfortable living in the nightlife and hospitality industry in Miami Beach. With that being said… looking back now, I can tell you this;
Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.
This recipe has been modified for a Paleo diet. You can find the original recipe here.