Banana-Berry baked Quinoa is a somewhat similar to baked oatmeal but makes for a glorious brunch presentation. Brunch doesn’t always have to be unhealthy, sugar coated, gluten loaded pancakes and waffles. This Banana-Berry baked Quinoa is gluten free, paleo, vegan friendly and SO DELICIOUS!
Bananas caramelize in coconut oil and baked dates give it a natural sweetness. Toasted walnuts and cinnamon warm the flavor. Topped with coconut flakes and fresh berries. Champagne cocktails? Yes please. How To: Champagne Cocktail Bar
I’m going to take you on a visual journey…
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 medium bananas, diagonally sliced
- 1-2 cups chopped dates
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (or pecans, almonds, or other nut of choice)
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat it to 375*F
- Start Quinoa. Bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cup water to boil. Reduce to simmer and cover. (As directed) Pull it off the heat right before its completely down. The little bit of water left will get absorbed during the baking.
- Heat a 10" or 12" cast iron skillet over medium heat, swirl to coat with coconut oil.
- Once warm, toss in bananas and lightly caramelize on both sides.
- Continue, setting the bananas on a plate aside when finished.
- Wipe out your pan and add a couple drops more oil. Set aside.
- NOTE: USING BANANAS THAT ARE SLIGHTLY GREEN HELPS THEM FROM GETTING TOO SOFT.
- Chop walnuts and dates.
- Once quinoa is cooked, stir in dates, half the coconut, cinnamon and half the bananas.
- Mix well and spread the mixture in the pan you cooked the bananas in.
- Top with remaining bananas, and pecans. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 min, until nuts are toasted and fragrant.
- Let it cool for a five minutes and top with berries and coconut flakes.
I found this recipe here a few years back. This is the third remake of this dish. The original came from the book, Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone.