You are going to LOVE this Kale & Bacon Potato Soup! Welcome to my Dutch Oven Madness! I’ll admit, I’m completely obsessed. Sure, you can make this soup in a stock pot, but sautéing these ingredients in a dutch oven takes the flavors to the next level. The heavy bottom of the pot makes the heat distribute evenly giving, you the tasty brown caramelization that makes a big difference in the flavor. Yukon gold potatoes make this soup rich and creamy, while kale brightens the nutrition content. I can find a reason to add bacon to JUST ABOUT ANYTHING, but the salt and fat that comes off the bacon makes the flavors nice and rich.
I was lucky enough to receive my 15.5 quart Le Creuset Dutch Oven from my girlfriends for our wedding gift. I call her Big Red. And honestly, now I couldn’t live without her. A smaller one is ideal and more practical for most people, also much more affordable. If you don’t have a dutch oven don’t stress it! A heavy bottom stock pot will do just fine. If you are in the market, Amazon has really good deals on Le Creuset items.
This soup comes together very fast! Have your ingredients chopped, prepped and ready to go.
The most challenging part of making this soup was trying to decorate the bowl for the blog post, while chasing around Gracie (our 9 1/2 week old puppy). She is such a terrorist! Her first dog show is at the end of the month and we have been brainstorming show names for her. It has to have “HOT” before the other characters. “Hot Amazing Grace”? “Hot Blue Agave Tequila”?… Whatcha got?
Quick, Easy, SUPER healthy. Enjoy!
Mrs. Jennifer Irizarry
Potato soup goes green!
30 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek (white and green parts only), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary and/or thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Add the potatoes and leek to the drippings in the pot and cook, stirring, until the leek is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and a few grinds of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly browned, about two minutes. Add the chicken broth and 4 cups water and bring to a simmer; cover and cook 15 minutes. Add about three-quarters kale; continue cooking, covered, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Toss the remaining kale with the olive oil on a baking sheet; season wth salt and pepper. Broil until crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Working in 3-4 batches, puree the soup until smooth; reheat if needed.
- Serve topped with Greek yogurt, kale chips, bacon, almonds and drizzle of olive oil.